The heart-shaped strawberry was once known as a symbol of Venus, the Roman goddess of love. For a time the ancient Greeks forbade the eating of strawberries and all other red foods, which led many to believe that the mysterious berries held great powers. Now, from a nutritional standpoint, there’s plenty to love about strawberries. The strawberry is a delicious and popular, low calorie summer fruit rich in Vitamin C. Traditionally served with a splash of cream, strawberries are an ideal way to end a meal. However, they can be used in a host of dishes, both sweet and savoury and their natural colour and shape makes them ideal garnishing material.
Today I want to show you great recipe with marinated strawberries. Delicious, sexy and easy.
Savory Focaccia with Marinated Strawberry, Caramelized Red Onion and Vegan Cheese
Ingredients for the dough:
- 1 package of yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup vegan milk oats or almond milk
- a piece of brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cups spelt flour dinkel wheat
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt and oregano
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 medium red onions sliced
- 100 ml dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon honey
- a pinch of salt and fresh-cracked black pepper
- 2 cups strawberries thinly sliced
- 40 ml dry red wine
- 10 ml vinegar
- pinch salt, pepper, cayenne pepper
And some more aphrodisiacs on the top:
- 2 cups mint
- 40 g hard vegan white cheese optional or goat cheese if you are not vegan
- a pinch of sea salt
- 2 drops of olive oil
Are you ready for advanced dirty cooking? … It is a bit more preparation before your date comes overbut make it with your heart and the effect will be beyond your expectations. Before your date comes over, there is a bit more preparation but, if you make it with your heart, the effect will be beyond your expectations.
- Pour your yeast into warm water, mix with warm milk and a pinch of brown sugar. Leave in a warm place for about 5 minutes. Add flour, salt and oregano. Knead it with feeling, adding olive oil until the dough isn’t sticky. Form a nice ball of dough and place it in a warm place covered with a dish towel until it is double its size (about one hour)
- While dough is rising, make your strawberries. Cut them into slices. Cover with wine, vinegar and spices. Leave to marinate for about 2 hours.
- In the meantime, make the onions. Heat coconut oil in a sauce pan over medium heat, add onions, salt and pepper. Stir occasionally and let cook a little bit. Add wine and honey and stir and cook for about 15 minutes. Remove onions from heat and set aside.
Preheat oven to 200˚C
- Take the dough and affectionately knead it. Next, using your fingers, gently press indentations into the the surface of the bottom piece of dough. Softly brush the dough with olive oil, cover with onions, cheese and sea salt. Bake until lightly golden.( about 20 minutes)
- When it is ready, top it with more cheese, strawberries and a lot of mint! You can sprinkle it with olive oil too…Focaccia should be crusty on the outside with light and airy crumbs.
Have a wonderful date!